When it comes to updating your home, new windows may not be at the top of your to do list, but there are many reasons why it might be time to replace worn out windows. So what signs should you be looking for when you inspect your windows?
Here are the most common reasons to replace residential windows:
- Faded carpet or furniture. The low-emissivity window glass coatings found in most new windows reflects the sun’s UV rays away from your home, which protects your furniture, drapes and carpets from fade damage.
- Rising utility costs due to hot or cold drafts. Energy efficient windows with low-E glass coating also reduce heat loss during winter months and heat gain during air-conditioning season.
- Fogginess between the windows panes caused by a broken seal
- Malfunctioning hardware making it difficult to lock, open or close windows
- Water damage around the windows, broken or chipped glass, chipped paint around the frames
- Hard to clean and maintain windows, particularly those that require a stepladder to clean the outside of your windows. Tilt-in windows are now available which make cleaning much easier
- Noise pollution allowed in by faulty windows and/or poor installation
- Rotting wood in window or frame causing window to fall apart
- Windows that no longer match style of home and other upgrades
- Seasonal storm windows – Seasonal windows are no longer necessary due to updates in energy efficient windows
- Increase your home’s value
If you are experiencing one or many of these problems, you should start thinking about replacing those windows before the snow flies again. Home Town Restyling offers a wide range of replacement windows for every budget. When you decide to replace your windows, make sure you select the right contractor using our FREE Guide, Iowa Contractor Comparison Guide – How to Make Your Remodeling Project a Success for tips on hiring the right local contractor.